Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Wait and See"

Monday night was the most exciting encounter that I've had with Mrs. Schreiner (a-hem, Diane! I'm trying!) since her accident.  Just like anyone else, this optimistic Diane fan was hoping that her seeming abilities to recognize, to express emotions, and to be aware of her surroundings were sure signs towards a good- and maybe complete- recovery.  But when Paul, Luke, and I left the room, Paul, attempting to bring me down from Cloud 9, looked at me with a serious face.  Before he could say a word, I read his mind and responded to him, saying, "I know, I know.  Don't get too encouraged or too discouraged.  It's still just 'wait and see'."  He responded with a confident, "Exactly." And I've been so encouraged that her family is following the same advice from her doctors and nurses by waiting patiently for Diane's progress.

And apparently the doctors and nurses aren't the only ones who advise that we "wait and see" in faith-stretching situations such as recovering from a traumatic bike accident. Charles Spurgeon has something to say about it as well.  Luke and I have developed a new breakfast routine which consists of reading from Charles Spurgeon's Morning By Morning (which really includes me reading aloud to myself as Luke shoves bananas and Cheerios into his mouth and joins with me in talking, though his volume is about 10 decibels higher than mine and his language is certainly not English).  Today's read was providentially relevant, as Charles Spurgeon exposits Psalm 27:14 which commands, "Wait on the Lord."  The quote below is lengthy but certainly worth the read:


"It may seem an easy thing to wait, but it is one of the postures that a Christian soldier learns not without years of teaching.  Marching and quick-marching are much easier to God's warriors than standing still.  There are hours of perplexity when the most willing spirit, anxiously desirous to serve the Lord, knows not what part to take.  Then what shall it do?  Vex itself by despair?  Fly back in cowardice, turn to the right hand in fear, or rush forward in presumption?  No, but simply wait.  Wait in prayer, however.  Call upon God and spread the case before Him; tell Him your difficulty, and plead His promise of aid.  In dilemmas between one duty and another, it is sweet to be humble as a child and wait with simplicity of soul upon the Lord.  It is sure to be well with us when we feel and know our own folly and are heartily willing to be guided by the will of God.  But wait in faith.  Express your unstaggering confidence in Him; for unfaithful, untrusting waiting is but an insult to the Lord.  Believe that if He keeps you tarrying even till midnight, yet He will come at the right time; the vision shall come and shall not tarry.  Wait in quiet patience, not rebelling because you are under the affliction, but blessing your God for it.  Never murmur against the second cause as the children of Israel did against Moses; never wish you could go back to the world again, but accept the case as it is, and put it as it stands, simply and with your whole heart, without any self-will, into the hand of your covenant God, saying, 'Now, Lord, not my will, but Thine be done.  I know not what to do; I am brought to extremities, but I will wait until Thou shalt cleave the floods, or drive back my foes.  I will wait, if Thou keep me many a day, for my heart is fixed upon Thee alone, O God and my spirit waiteth for Thee in the full conviction that Thou wilt yet be my joy and my salvation, my refuge and my strong tower'." 

After reading this, two thoughts crossed my mind: 1) I'm not the only one who is bad about using run-on sentences, and 2) I was convicted about the object of my wait in this situation.  Though I've been telling myself to wait on the Lord, I have actually been waiting on doctors' reports and even updates of new developments and occurrences of Diane's responses.  But I am so thankful to be reminded to wait on the Lord, knowing that He has providentially arranged all circumstances for His glory and for the sanctification of all of His children- both Diane and all of her Christian brothers and sisters who are alongside her, bearing this burden.  May God receive great glory as He helps me "wait on the Lord" and see how He proves his faithfulness in all of life's trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment